Skip to main content
Skip global navigation and go to main content

Top 6 Form 2290 Filing Tips

Posted August 8, 2018

You’re subject to the tax if:

  • You’re registering a vehicle in your name;
  • The vehicle has a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more; and
  • You’re using the vehicle on a public roadway.

The HVUT isn’t overly complex, but there are still requirements surrounding this tax that can get you into trouble if you’re not careful. We’ve compiled our top 6 filing tips to help you ensure you’re filing correctly and following the rules.

  1. Make sure you have an EIN. An employer identification number (EIN) is required to file the HVUT. You cannot use your social security number. Obtaining a new EIN can take a couple weeks, so be sure to plan ahead.
  2. E-file. Electronic tax filing is required if you have 25 or more vehicles, but of course, all HVUT taxpayers are encouraged to file electronically. E-filing helps reduce errors, and it’s much faster than filing on paper, which can take up to six weeks. When you e-file, you receive your proof of tax payment virtually immediately.
  3. Use a trustworthy firm to help you file. Don’t fall victim to scams or unscrupulous third-party filers. J. J. Keller is a well-known trusted firm and an authorized IRS e-file provider.
  4. Suspend the tax if you can. If you believe you will operate a taxable vehicle 5,000 miles or less (7,500 for agricultural vehicles), you can suspend the tax. This means that you still file the HVUT for the vehicle, but you pay no tax.
  5. Be sure to claim your credits or refunds. If you paid the prior year HVUT for a vehicle, but the vehicle was sold, destroyed, or stolen, you can claim a tax credit or refund for the months in which you didn’t use the vehicle. A tax credit or refund may also be claimed if you filed and paid for a vehicle in the prior year, but the vehicle ended up traveling fewer than 5,000 miles throughout the tax year (7,500 miles for agricultural vehicles). The credits can be claimed on your current HVUT Form 2290, or you can claim a refund on IRS Form 8849.
  6. Know when you might need to file again. You know that you need to file the HVUT annually, but did you know that there may be other reasons you need to file throughout the year? Additional filings are required if you add a taxable vehicle to your fleet or if you increase the taxable weight of a vehicle you’ve previously reported. If you suspended the tax on a vehicle, but end up operating the vehicle over the 5,000/7,500-mile limit at any point during the tax year, then you’ll need to re-file and pay the tax at that time.

Remember, you’ll need to keep records for all taxable highway vehicles registered in your name for at least three years after the date the tax is due or paid, whichever is later. Be sure to keep copies of all returns and schedules you have filed, and keep your records even if a vehicle is registered in your name for only a portion of a period.

Taxes are complicated, but filing your HVUT doesn’t need to be. Knowing what you’re required to do, and when, can help assure your HVUT filings go smoothly.

2290onlineWith 2290online from J. J. Keller, you can quickly enter and electronically file your heavy vehicle use taxes.


J. J. Keller's FREE Transportation SafetyClicks™ email newsletter brings quick-read safety and compliance news right to your email box.

Sign up to receive Transportation SafetyClicks™.