Final rule on NSPS for Automobile and Light Duty Truck Surface Coating Operations
Posted May 9, 2023
EPA is finalizing changes to the new source performance standards for Automobile and Light Duty Truck Surface Coating Operations under the Clean Air Act. EPA revised volatile organic compound (VOC) emission limits for prime coat, guide coat, and topcoat operations for affected facilities that commence construction, modification, or reconstruction after May 18, 2022. There are also the following changes:
- Added work practices to reduce VOC emissions;
- Revisions of the plastic parts provision;
- Updates to the capture and control devices and the associated testing and monitoring requirements;
- Revisions of the transfer efficiency provisions;
- Revisions of the recordkeeping and reporting requirements, including the addition of electronic reporting; and
- Removal of exemptions for periods of startup, shutdown, and malfunction.
This rule went into effect on May 9, 2023. The economic impacts are anticipated to be low for affected companies and the industries impacted by this final action, and there will not be substantial impacts on the markets for affected products.
This article was written by Jessica Stengel of J. J. Keller & Associates, Inc.
Looking for more on workplace safety?
Get the information and products you need to stay on top of industry changes and comply with regs.
J. J. Keller's free Workplace SafetyClicks™ e-newsletter brings quick-read safety and compliance news right to your inbox.Sign up to receive Workplace SafetyClicks™