Other basic driver qualification requirements for drivers include the following:
- Must be at least 21 years old;
- Can read and speak the English language well enough to do the job (including being able to read traffic signs, complete forms, and converse with enforcement officers);
- Can safely operate the motor vehicle he/she will be driving;
- Is physically qualified to operate the vehicle in accordance with Sec. 391.41;
- Has a currently valid commercial motor vehicle operator’s license issued by only one state or jurisdiction;
- Has provided a list of violations as required by Sec. 391.27;
- Is not disqualified to operate a motor vehicle under Secs. 391.15 or 383.51; and
- Has successfully completed a road test or its equivalent (Sec. 391.31, 391.33).
To help a carrier determine a driver’s qualification status, the regulations require the carrier to request a 3-year driving record and check with the driver’s previous employers.
The motor carrier is required to maintain a driver qualification file for each driver it employs.