FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (August 22, 2018)
2290 Filing Deadline Almost Here, J. J. Keller Offers Helpful Tips and Easy Service
Neenah, WI - The August 31, 2018 Form 2290 deadline is fast approaching, and J. J. Keller & Associates, Inc. is prepared to help motor carriers comply. In addition to its online tax filing service, 2290online.com. the company is offering helpful filing tips.
To assure successful filing, follow these Top 10 Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Filing Tips:
- Make sure you have an Employer Identification Number (EIN). You cannot use your social security number. Obtaining a new EIN can take a couple weeks.
- File on time. Penalties and interest can accrue when taxes aren’t filed on time. And, you need proof of payment when registering your trucks.
- Check your work. Quick checks can help prevent amended or corrected returns.
- E-file. Electronic tax filing is required if you have 25 or more vehicles.
- Use a trustworthy firm to help you file. Don’t fall victim to scams or unscrupulous third-party filers.
- Suspend the tax if you can. If operating a taxable vehicle 5,000 miles or less, you can suspend the tax. You’ll file the HVUT, but you pay no tax.
- Be sure to claim your credits or refunds. Credits can be claimed for vehicles that were sold, destroyed, or stolen.
- Know when you might need to file again. Additional filings are required if you add a taxable vehicle to your fleet during the tax year.
- Know your options for payment. The IRS accepts electronic funds withdrawal, Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), credit or debit card payments, and checks or money orders.
- Keep proper records. Retain filing records for at least three years after the date the tax is due or paid, whichever is later.
The Heavy Vehicle Use Tax must be paid for vehicles with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more. The Internal Revenue Service regulations require electronic filing of Form 2290 for companies with 25 or more vehicles with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more. Fleets with fewer than 25 vehicles can also choose to file electronically. 2290online.com is accepting Heavy Vehicle Use Taxes via Form 2290 for the July 1, 2018-June 30, 2019 filing period.
“With the 2290 annual filing deadline looming, we’re more than ready to help fleets,” said Tom Reader, senior director of marketing at J. J. Keller. “Customers continue to comment that 2290online is extremely user-friendly and fast. And our Customer Care team has been able to help fleets of all sizes that call with questions about filing.”
Visit 2290online.com for more information on each of the tips and to file.
About J. J. Keller & Associates, Inc.
Since its beginning as a one-man consulting firm in 1953, J. J. Keller & Associates, Inc. has grown to become the most respected name in safety and regulatory compliance. Now over 1,400 associates strong, J. J. Keller serves over 600,000 customers — including over 90% of the Fortune 1000® companies. The company’s subject-matter expertise spans nearly 1,500 topics, and its diverse solutions include ELogs and mobile technology; training via online courses, streaming video or DVD; online management tools; managed services; consulting services; online and print publications; forms and supplies.
Transportation professionals rely on J. J. Keller’s in-house expertise and wide selection of products and services to reduce risk and improve regulatory compliance, performance management, and operational efficiency. For more information, visit JJKeller.com
For more information, contact:
- Becca Brown
- J. J. Keller & Associates, Inc.
- Email: email@example.com