HAZWOPER: Radiation & Biological Exposures - Online Training Course
Add 25 Points To Cart
Product Code: 51598
Best Selling Online Courses
This program is available for 25 points per seat. A seat is one person assigned to one course. Already have a J. J. Keller® Training account? Click here to log in. If you are a new customer, click here to learn more about Training Points.
Hazardous waste is a serious problem that continues to endanger humans, animals, and environmental quality. However, as workers clean up hazardous waste sites, they face safety and health hazards. OSHA issued the Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) Standard to protect workers during cleanup operations and help them handle the wastes safely and effectively.
When you think of hazardous waste cleanup sites, hazardous waste and other hazardous chemicals come to mind. However, some sites pose radiological and biological hazards. To remain safe in the work environment, it's important that workers have training on these hazards and protective measures to eliminate or reduce their exposure.
This HAZWOPER training course is designed to familiarize workers with the types of radiation they may encounter at work, dose limits, postings, and how to minimize exposure to radiation. It is also designed to inform workers about the different types of biological agents they should be aware of and how to protect themselves from bloodborne pathogens, as well as poisonous plants, animals, and insects.
- The eLearning course covers the following topics:
- Radiation Basics
- The Atom
- Ionizing Radiation
- Non-Ionizing Radiation
- Types of Ionizing Radiation
- Exposure to Radiation
- Sources of Radiation
- Effects of Radiation
- Measuring Exposure to Radiation
- Dose & Dose Limits
- Radiation Protective Measures
- Time, Distance, & Shielding
- Protective Clothing and Equipment
- Safe Work Practices
- Radiation Postings
- Survey Maps
- Radiation Caution Symbol
- Radiation Signs
- Radiation Container Labels
- Biological Exposures
- Biological Agents
- Poisonous Plants
- Poisonous Snakes
- Other Animals
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens
- Protect Yourself
- Control Measures
- Symbols and Colors
- Responding to an Injury
- The Decontamination Process
- If You're Exposed
- Exposure Control Plan
- After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Identify the parts of an atom and the main characteristics of alpha, beta, and gamma radiation
- Discuss how radiation is measured and the OSHA dose limits for whole body, extremities, and skin of the whole body
- Describe measures to protect themselves from radiation including; time, distance, and shielding; ALARA (As Low As Reasonably Achievable) principles; protective equipment and clothing; safe work practices; and training
- Identify the radiation symbol and postings used for radioactive materials, airborne radioactivity areas, radiation areas, and high radiation areas
- Recognize the different types of biological agents they could be exposed to at work including poisonous plants, animals, insects, and bloodborne pathogens
- Explain the importance of protecting themselves from bloodborne pathogens and what control measures can be taken for protection
- Identify ways to prevent contamination when responding to an injury involving blood and what measures can be taken if they are potentially exposed to blood or other potentially infectious materials
- Intended Audience: General site workers—such as equipment operators, general laborers, and supervisory personnel—who may be involved or expected to engage in hazardous waste cleanup operations where the worker may be exposed to hazardous substances, health hazards, or safety hazards.
- Regs Covered: 29 CFR 1910.120, 29 CFR 1926.65, 29 CFR 1910.1030, 29 CFR 1910.1096, 29 CFR 1910.97, 10 CFR 20, 10 CFR 835, 40 CFR 311
- Length: 75 minutes
- Copyright Date: 2018
This online course is part of the HAZWOPER: 40-Hour Initial Training: General Waste Site Workers Curriculum.
To view the other 20 courses included in this curriculum, as well as other levels of training, visit the HAZWOPER Training Page.
Interested in a license to use J. J. Keller content on your LMS?
For a quote to use this training on your learning management system, contact us at email@example.com or
To ensure full course functionality, your computer will need to meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra) or higher
- Mobile App: Android v7 — Nougat (8/2016) and above, iOS v11 and above
- Persistent, high-speed internet connection with at least 1.5Mbps download speed
- Speakers or headphones
- Pop-up blockers must be disabled
- Cookies must be allowed
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
WEB BROWSERS THAT BEST SUPPORT HTML5
- Windows: Internet Explorer 11, Edge Chromium, Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
- Mac & Mobile App: Safari (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
J. J. Keller® Training
J. J. Keller's Interactive Online training programs are purchased using Points so you can get as much or as little as you need. The Points you purchase can be used for any course on J. J. Keller® Training.
All our Interactive Online courses feature:
- Easy purchasing and planning for the training you need
- 24/7 access to all our interactive online and streamlining video programs
- Hundreds of titles to choose from
- Free recordkeeping tool to track and report on all training activity
- One year window from date of purchase to use your Points
For information on unlimited purchasing options, please contact us 1-888-601-2018.
If you already have a J. J. Keller® Training account and wish to log in, click here.