CSA: Know the BASICs - Online Training Course
Interactive Online Training courses are purchased using Training Points. This program is available for 25 points per seat (a seat is one person assigned to one course). Points are $1 each. See Overview for more information.
Add 25 Points To Cart
This program is available for 25 points per seat. A seat is one person assigned to one course. Already have a J. J. Keller® Training account? Click here to log in. If you are a new customer, click here to learn more about Training Points.
CSA, which stands for Compliance, Safety, Accountability, is a driver and carrier monitoring and evaluation system that is designed to identify and intervene with drivers and carriers who are not in compliance with safety regulations. Both drivers and motor carriers are evaluated and scored using this methodology.
Simply put, CSA is a system used by the FMCSA to identify safety problems early so that they can be addressed before they lead to tragedies on the highway.
FMCSA does not require CSA training, but it is a wise best practice to keep drivers alert to new requirements placed on them by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and expectations placed on them by the motor carrier. This training may be used as a spring board to elaborate on any company policies toward the driver in regards to roadside inspection violations and crash history.
- The J. J. Keller CSA: Know the BASICs online course covers the following topics:
- CSA Program Overview
- Compliance, Safety, Accountability
- Four Components of CSA
- Data Collection
- Roadside Inspections
- Safety Evaluation
- The Seven BASICs
- Data Processing
- Severity and Time Weighting
- BASIC Score
- The BASICs
- Unsafe Driving BASIC
- Hours-of-Service Compliance BASIC
- Driver Fitness BASIC
- Controlled Substances and Alcohol BASIC
- Vehicle Maintenance BASIC
- Hazardous Materials Compliance BASIC
- Crash Indicator BASIC
- FMCSA Interventions
- Types of Interventions
- Driver Responsibilities
- Actions Against Drivers
- CSA Program Overview
- After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Explain the purpose and goals of the CSA program.
- Describe how safety data is collected, measured, and evaluated under the program.
- List the seven BASICs and how violations get placed into each.
- Explain strategies for keeping BASIC scores low and avoiding FMCSA interventions.
- Intended Audience: Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA) applies to motor carriers that have a USDOT number and operate a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) as defined in §390.5 in interstate commerce or have placarded hazmat in intrastate commerce. Drivers of these vehicles are also subject to the new enforcement model.
- Length: 60 minutes
- Regs Covered: 49 CFR §390.5
- Copyright Date: 2013 (Rev. 11/14, 2/18)
Interested in a license to use J. J. Keller content on your LMS?
For a quote to use this training on your learning management system, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or
To ensure full course functionality, your computer will need to meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra) or higher
- Mobile App: Android v7 — Nougat (8/2016) and above, iOS v11 and above
- Persistent, high-speed internet connection with at least 1.5Mbps download speed
- Speakers or headphones
- Pop-up blockers must be disabled
- Cookies must be allowed
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
WEB BROWSERS THAT BEST SUPPORT HTML5
- Windows: Internet Explorer 11, Edge Chromium, Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
- Mac & Mobile App: Safari (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
J. J. Keller® Training
J. J. Keller's Interactive Online training programs are purchased using Points so you can get as much or as little as you need. The Points you purchase can be used for any course on J. J. Keller® Training.
All our Interactive Online courses feature:
- Easy purchasing and planning for the training you need
- 24/7 access to all our interactive online and streamlining video programs
- Hundreds of titles to choose from
- Free recordkeeping tool to track and report on all training activity
- One year window from date of purchase to use your Points
For information on unlimited purchasing options, please contact us 1-888-601-2018.
If you already have a J. J. Keller® Training account and wish to log in, click here.