Interested in learning more about this service? Call 833-708-4633 to talk with a compliance specialist today!

Tier II Reporting Services

Superfund Amendments & Reauthorization Act (SARA) Title III Emergency Planning & Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) Compliance. Read more.

Tier II Reporting Services (013916)
+ / - Hover over image to Zoom

SARA Title III/EPCRA was implemented to create a cooperative relationship among government, business, and the public, involving them in the effort to prevent, plan, prepare for, and manage chemical emergencies.

Annually by March 1, all owners and operators of manufacturing and non-manufacturing facilities with one or more covered hazardous chemicals are required to fill out Tier II forms to report chemical inventory data to their local fire departments, local emergency planning committees, and state emergency response commissions.

Our trained staff helps you easily comply with the requirements. We visit your facility to conduct an assessment to verify whether you need to file a Tier II report and determine the specific federal, state, and local environmental requirements for your location(s). We then prepare and file the Tier II report quickly and accurately for you if necessary.

I'd like to learn more!

*Indicates a required field.

(If not a business, please enter your Full Name in the Company Name field)

Please use numeric characters only

By clicking 'submit' you are confirming that you read and are agreeing to the terms & conditions.

Required Reporting Elements

  • Facility information
  • Individual chemical constituents
  • Physical and health hazards
  • Chemical description of materials used at the facility
  • Maximum & average daily amounts
  • Storage types, conditions & locations
  • Additional information verifying your reporting status

Steps To File


Inventory your chemical storage.


Determine maximum & average daily storage of regulated chemicals.


Register with the state reporting system.


File report & maintain records.

Call us toll free at 833-708-4633 for a no-obligation discussion. Or, if you prefer, fill out this form to learn more!

Who Must File a Tier II Report?

  1. Facilities covered under OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard and that must prepare or have available safety data sheets (SDSs) for one or more hazardous chemicals; and
  2. Facilities that meet either of the following conditions:
    1. An extremely hazardous substance (EHS) is present at any one time in an amount equal to or greater than 500 pounds (approximately 55 gallons) or the threshold planning quantity (TPQ), whichever is lower.
    2. A hazardous chemical that is not an EHS is present at any one time in an amount equal to or greater than the threshold level for that chemical. Threshold levels are 10,000 pounds unless the chemical is gasoline or diesel fuel at a retail gas station (higher threshold quantities apply to retail gas stations).

There is no threshold quantity if state responders, local emergency officials, or the local fire department asks you for information on any or all of your chemicals.

If a violation is discovered, EPA considers:

  • The nature, extent, gravity, and circumstance of the violations
  • Prior violations
  • Willful or accidental violation
  • Company cooperation
  • Immediate steps to come into compliance

Battery-operated forklifts onsite?

Lead-acid batteries contain TWO Tier II reportable components.

Need help determining if you need to file?

Let us help you! Contact us at 833-708-4633 or complete this form.

Take a proactive approach to environmental compliance. Learn more!

What Hazardous Substances Must Be Reported?

  • Propane
  • Diesel
  • Ammonia
  • Battery Acid
  • Fuel
  • Lead
  • Compressed Gasses
  • Sulfuric Acid

What Chemicals are Excluded from the Reporting Requirements?

  • Foods, food additives, color additives, drugs or cosmetics regulated by the Food and Drug Administration;
  • Substances that are present as a solid in any manufactured item when exposure to the substance does not occur in normal use;
  • Any substance that is used for personal, family, or household purposes, or present in the same form and concentration as a packaged product used by the general public;
  • Any substance used in a research laboratory or hospital under the direct supervision of a qualified individual; and
  • Any substance used in routine agricultural operations or is a fertilizer held for sale at a retailer.

Note that most states want you to use the federal electronic Tier II software to submit your chemical information, but some have other submission requirements.

J. J. Keller can help assess your facility for applicability, complete Tier II reports on your behalf, and provide inspection support.

Why J. J. Keller and U.S. Compliance Corporation?

J. J. Keller and U.S. Compliance Corporation have formed a strategic partnership that provides you with unmatched expertise in safety and environmental compliance and related best practices. You will benefit from a combined 85+ years of working with companies in all industries to develop best-in-class safety programs to reduce risk.

Our environmental areas of focus include Tier II reports; Toxic Release Inventory (Form R/A) reports; air quality permits and reports; risk management plans and updates; hazardous waste contingency plans and training; wastewater and storm water permits; spill prevention, control, and countermeasure plans; and spill reporting.

Fact Sheet

Tier II Fact Sheet

Learn more about this J. J. Keller service, where we can help protect your company, reduce your risk and improve your safety & compliance.

Compliance Brief

Tier II Compliance Brief

Learn more about filing requirements with the free Tier II Compliance Brief. Plus, speak with a compliance specialist who will help you determine whether you need to file.

Product Questions & Answers

Product Reviews