Use J. J. Keller’s 2290online.com service to e-file your IRS Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return. Filing can be completed in minutes, and you can have your Schedule 1, with electronic stamp, in as little as 24 hours. You’re subject to HVUT if:
- You’re registering a vehicle in your name;
- The vehicle has a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more; and
- You’re using the vehicle on a public roadway.
Whether you’re an owner/operator or a fleet of thousands, you can have the benefits of HVUT e-filing with J. J. Keller’s proven technology.
IRS 2290 Details
Form 2290 must be filed the month after a taxable vehicle is first used on public highways during the current period. The current period begins July 1 and ends June 30 of the following year.
The 2290 form must be filed by the last day of the month following the first month of use. The filing rules apply whether you are paying the tax or reporting suspension of the tax.
Annual filings of IRS Form 2290 are due August 31 and are typically completed between July 1 and August 31. The IRS requires e-filing if you have more than 25 vehicles over 55,000 pounds.
Knowing what you're required to do, and when, can help assure your HVUT filings go smoothly.
Form 2290 Pricing
J. J. Keller’s pricing can meet the needs of any size fleet or filing frequency. You have the option to Pay Per Filing or have an Annual Filing Fee. Pay Per Filing offers individual filing fees based on the number of vehicles on each Form 2290. With the Annual Filing Fee, you pay one fee for the tax filing year based on the number of vehicles on all 2290 forms. You can select your preferred option when setting up your account. Visit 2290online.com to get pricing details.
Top 10 HVUT Filing Tips
Taxes can be complicated, but filing your HVUT doesn't need to be. Here are our top 10 filing tips to help you ensure you’re filing your 2290 form correctly and following the rules:
- Make sure you have an EIN. You cannot use your social security number.
- File on time to avoid accrued penalties and interest, as well as potentially not being able to register your vehicles.
- Check your work and review company details and VINs to avoid having to file amended or corrected returns in the future.
- E-file to help reduce errors and receive your proof of tax payment almost immediately.
- Use a trustworthy firm to help you file. J. J. Keller is an authorized IRS e-file provider.
- Suspend the tax if you can. You can suspend the tax if you operate a taxable vehicle 5,000 miles or less (7,500 miles for agricultural vehicles).
- Be sure to claim your credits or refunds. You can get a tax credit or refund if a vehicle you paid taxes for was sold, destroyed, stolen, or used below the mileage thresholds.
- Know when you might need to file again. The HVUT is an annual filing, but you may have additional filings if you add a taxable vehicle or you increase the taxable weight on a previously reported vehicle.
- Know your payment options: electronic funds withdrawal, Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), credit or debit card payment, or check or money order.
- Keep proper records. Keep copies of all returns and schedules for all taxable vehicles registered in your name for at least three years after the date.
Why J. J. Keller?
J. J. Keller & Associates, Inc. provides products and services to help companies with transportation operations simplify compliance with complicated government regulations.
Established in 1953, we now serve over 300,000 companies around the world. In addition, nearly 1,000 fleets with 400,000 drivers and vehicles are using our systems to manage their regulatory compliance and operations.