OSHA, manufacturers recognize National Forklift Safety Day
Posted June 11, 2019
On June 11, OSHA will join manufacturers across the country in emphasizing safe practices and the importance of operator training for National Forklift Safety Day. Forklifts are an essential piece of equipment in many workplaces, especially in warehousing and manufacturing. Although they make work more efficient, they can pose serious hazards to those operating or working near them.
OSHA reminds employers and workers that these hazards can be prevented by following safe practices and ensuring that workers are properly trained.
OSHA recommends the following:
- Always wear seatbelts when operating a forklift.
- Never exceed the rated load, and ensure loads are balanced.
- Make sure you have enough clearance when raising and loading materials.
- Watch for pedestrians and observe speed limits.
- Keep a safe distance from platform and ramp edges.
J. J. Keller's Forklift Inspection Kits include all the supplies you need to complete pre-shift inspections.
J. J. Keller's FREE Workplace SafetyClicks™ email newsletter brings quick-read safety and compliance news right to your email box.