Quick safety tips for forklift operators
Posted June 21, 2018
A new OSHA QuickCard describes ways to mitigate the risks associated with operating and working around forklifts. Hazards to employees can include collisions, falls, tip-overs, and struck-by incidents.
In addition to guidance on safety training and forklift maintenance, the QuickCard offers Basic forklift operator safety tips, including:
- Always wearing a seatbelt when provided
- Never going over the rate load and making sure the load is balanced
- Place the forklift in neutral and set the parking brake before lifting the load
- Keep a safe distance from platform and ramp edges
- Be aware of other forklifts in the work area
- Have clear visibility of the work area when loading and operating a forklift
- Use the grab bar and proper footing to enter the lift
- Use the lights, mirrors, and horns
- Watch for pedestrians and observe the speed limit
- Never use the forks to lift people
J. J. Keller's Forklift Training - DVD Training helps you meet OSHA forklift training requirements while keeping both operators and pedestrians around forklifts safe.
J. J. Keller's FREE Workplace SafetyClicks™ email newsletter brings quick-read workplace safety and compliance news right to your email box.