Skip to main content
Skip global navigation and go to main content

MC Number Interstate Operating Service

Our experts will help set up your FMCSA Operating Authority and obtain your motor carrier number. Read more.

MC Number Interstate Operating Service (013680)
+ / - Hover over image to Zoom

Often, companies need to have interstate Operating Authority (MC Number) in addition to a DOT number. Operating authority defines the type of operation you can run, and what cargo you may carry.

Let J. J. Keller help you set up your operating authority properly, so you don't risk getting placed out of service. Contact us at 888-601-2017 or today!

I'd like to learn more!

*Indicates a required field.

(If not a business, please enter your Full Name in the Company Name field)

By making this request you agree to the J. J. Keller Terms of Use.Please review our Notice at Collection to see how personal information is collected.

When is a MC Number Needed?

Typically, a motor carrier number is needed when:

  • A carrier transports passengers in interstate commerce (for a fee or other compensation either direct or indirect)
  • A carrier transports federally-regulated commodities that are either owned by others or arranging for their transport in interstate commerce (for a fee or other compensation)

The FMCSA operating authority can be identified as an "MC", "FF" or "MX" number based on what authority is granted. It's possible that your business may need multiple operating authorities.

Who Does Not Need Authority?

  • Private Carriers (who only transport their own cargo)
  • For Hire Carriers who only transport exempt commodities that are not federally regulated
  • Carriers who operate only in geographic territories that are exempt from authority rules

Contact us today for help:
888-601-2017  │

Or, fill out this form, and we'll be in touch with you soon!



Product Questions & Answers

Product Reviews