HAZWOPER 8-Hour Refresher Training: Waste Site Workers Curriculum - Online Course
Add 125 Points To Cart
Best Selling Online Courses
This program is available for 125 points per seat. A seat is one person assigned to one course. Already have a J. J. Keller Training account? Click here to log in. If you are a new customer, click here to learn more about Training Points.
According to OSHA, a "cleanup operation" is an operation where hazardous substances are removed, contained, incinerated, neutralized, stabilized, cleared-up, or in any other manner processed or handled with the goal of making the site safer for people or the environment.
All employees working on sites with cleanup operations covered by the HAZWOPER standard must receive initial and refresher training if they are exposed to hazardous substances, health hazards, or safety hazards.
The following worker types must receive 8-hour refresher training annually, per 29 CFR 1910.120(e)(8):
- General waste site workers: Workers (such as equipment operators, general laborers and supervisory personnel) engaged in hazardous substance removal or other activities that expose or potentially expose the workers to hazardous substances and health hazards.
- Routine site workers: Workers regularly onsite who work in areas that have been monitored and fully characterized indicating that exposures are under permissible exposure limits (PELs) and published exposure limits where respirators are not necessary, and the characterization indicates that there are no health hazards or the possibility of an emergency developing.
- Non-routine site workers: Workers onsite only occasionally for a specific limited task (such as, but not limited to, groundwater monitoring, land surveying, or geo-physical surveying) and who are unlikely to be exposed over PELs and published exposure limits.
- On-site management and supervisors: Managers and supervisors directly responsible for, or who supervise employees engaged in, hazardous waste operations.
There are 5 online courses included within the HAZWOPER 8-Hour Refresher Training: Waste Site Workers Curriculum:
- Refresher for Waste Site Workers: Introduction to HAZWOPER provides learners with an overview of the HAZWOPER regulations, hazardous waste operations, and HAZWOPER plans and programs.
- Refresher for Waste Site Workers: PPE & Other Hazard Control Measures provides learners with an overview of various forms of personal protective equipment, site control measures, and other hazard control measures.
- Refresher for Waste Site Workers: Hazard Recognition provides learners with an overview of types of hazards, hazard recognition methods, and how to assess hazards.
- Refresher for Waste Site Workers: Air Monitoring & Medical Program provides learners with an overview of air monitoring regulations and methods, as well as medical surveillance regulations, exams and consultations, and medical emergencies.
- Refresher for Waste Site Workers: Emergency Response & Decontamination provides learners with an overview of potential HAZWOPER site emergencies, emergency response requirements, and decontamination methods and types.
Length: 7.5 hours
Copyright Date: 2018
Looking for different levels of HAZWOPER training? Visit the HAZWOPER Training Page!
Interested in a license to use J. J. Keller content on your LMS?
For a quote to use this training on your learning management system, contact us at email@example.com or
The employees, managers, and supervisors mentioned above in the overview section shall receive 8 hours of refresher training annually in the following and other relevant topics:
- Names of personnel and alternates responsible for site safety and health;
- Safety, health, and other hazards present on the site;
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) use;
- Work practices by which the worker can minimize risks from hazards;
- Safe use of engineering controls and equipment on the site;
- Medical surveillance requirements, including recognition of symptoms and signs that might indicate overexposure to hazards;
- Decontamination procedures;
- The site's emergency response plan for safe and effective responses to emergencies, including the necessary PPE and other equipment;
- Confined space entry procedures; and
- The site's spill containment program.
Managers and supervisors must also be refreshed annually in the employer's safety and health program and the associated employee training program, personal protective equipment program, and health hazard monitoring procedure and techniques.
NOTE: In OSHA's view, HAZWOPER online training, by itself, is not sufficient to meet the intent of the agency's training requirements for HAZWOPER, 29 CFR 1910.120 for general industry or 29 CFR 1926.65 for construction. Therefore, online training must be supplemented by site-specific elements, hands-on* training and exercises, and an opportunity for trainees to ask questions of a qualified trainer.
When using this course curriculum as a tool to help with training under §1910.120(e)/§1926.65(e), we suggest you:
- Ensure your trainer is qualified, in accordance with §1910.120(e)(5)/§1926.65(e)(5);
- Augment the online training with site-specific elements;
- Tailor your training to the employees' assigned duties;
- Include hands-on* training to re-familiarize trainees with equipment, PPE, and safe practices;
- Provide trainees with immediate and direct access to a qualified trainer as they are taking the course;
- Offer an opportunity for trainees to ask questions of the qualified trainer;
- Ensure all training elements listed in the regulation are covered;
- Meet the training duration requirement under §1910.120(e)(8)/§1926.65(e)(8) (NOTE: This online training course curriculum is not intended to fill the training duration requirement of 8 hours, and it is anticipated the remaining duration will be filled with the items in the suggested bullet items above); and
- Ensure the trainer (or head instructor) and employer certify the trainee has, in fact, met the applicable refresher training requirements in accordance with §1910.120(e)(8)/§1926.65(e)(8). (NOTE: The online training course curriculum does not provide HAZWOPER certification; the online course curriculum certificate only acknowledges the completion of the online refresher training itself).
*For HAZWOPER refresher training, OSHA indicated in a 10/11/1994 letter that the employer may determine that hands-on training is unnecessary for a given refresher course. To make this determination, however, OSHA indicated that the employer must assess the employees' skill level and ensure that the employees remain competent in their assigned duties. In general, OSHA encourages the use of hands-on training even in refresher courses because it is an effective means for auditing worker performance of safety-related skills.
To ensure full course functionality, your computer will need to meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra) or higher
- Mobile App: Android v7 — Nougat (8/2016) and above, iOS v11 and above
- Persistent, high-speed internet connection with at least 1.5Mbps download speed
- Speakers or headphones
- Pop-up blockers must be disabled
- Cookies must be allowed
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
WEB BROWSERS THAT BEST SUPPORT HTML5
- Windows: Internet Explorer 11, Edge Chromium, Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
- Mac & Mobile App: Safari (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
J. J. Keller® Training
J. J. Keller's Interactive Online training programs are purchased using Points so you can get as much or as little as you need. The Points you purchase can be used for any course on J. J. Keller® Training.
All our Interactive Online courses feature:
- Easy purchasing and planning for the training you need
- 24/7 access to all our interactive online and streamlining video programs
- Hundreds of titles to choose from
- Free recordkeeping tool to track and report on all training activity
- One year window from date of purchase to use your Points
For information on unlimited purchasing options, please contact us 1-888-601-2018.
If you already have a J. J. Keller® Training account and wish to log in, click here.