Hazmat: Highway Transportation Driver Training - Online Course
Add 25 Points To Cart
Product Code: 46083, 57395
Best Selling Online Courses
This program is available for 25 points per seat. A seat is one person assigned to one course. Already have a J. J. Keller® Training account? Click here to log in. If you are a new customer, click here to learn more about Training Points.
This online course has been updated to include changes from the HM-215N final rule.
Hazardous materials (hazmat) are substances or materials that the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has determined are capable of posing an unreasonable risk to health, safety, and property when transported in commerce.
As a hazmat employee, you are likely aware of the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR), which are a set of rules established by The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) to ensure hazmat is packaged and handled safely during transport.
To emphasize their importance, the DOT is very strict about enforcement of the HMR. For minor violations, you could be fined or placed out of service. For willful violations, penalties could include jail time. To ensure hazmat gets from Point A to Point B safely and securely, you must understand your key responsibilities as a driver.
This course is designed specifically for drivers to safely transport hazardous materials. It helps satisfy the function-specific training requirements (49 CFR 172.702(a)(2)) and modal-specific training requirements for transport by highway (49 CFR Part 177).
Please note: 49 CFR 172.704(d) of the HMR requires each hazmat employer to create and retain a record certifying the current training of each hazmat employee. It is the responsibility of the hazmat employer to complete additional company-specific training in order to formally certify each student. Trainers may use the J. J. Keller-issued certificate for compliance with the recordkeeping requirements in Section 172.704(d)(3). The trainer and the trainer’s company are considered the “person providing the training” in Section 172.704(d)(4). Because of this, trainers should maintain additional records documenting a description or copy of the additional company-specific training materials provided to each student.
- J. J. Keller’s Hazmat: Highway Transportation Driver Training covers the following topics:
- Your Responsibilities
- License Requirements
- CSA & Your BASIC Score
- Required Documentation
- Shipping Papers
- The Hazmat Table
- Emergency Response Information
- Additional Class 1 Requirements
- Hazardous Waste Manifest
- Location during Transport
- Transporting Hazmat Safely
- Before You Leave
- While En Route
- Parking, Fueling, & Maintenance
- Hazmat Incidents & Accidents
- Hazmat: Highway Transportation Driver Training assumes the learner has hazmat general awareness, security awareness, and safety knowledge already gained from experience or successful completion of appropriate training. Specifically, the learner must be able to:
- Identify the required training all hazmat employees must receive
- Determine if a material is hazardous
- Recognize the hazard classes and divisions used to identify hazardous materials
- Recall what makes a material a hazardous substance, hazardous waste, marine pollutant, or elevated-temperature material
- Indicate the importance of the Hazmat Table
- Communicate a material’s hazards through the use of shipping papers, markings, labels, and placards
- Recognize potential hazmat security threats and ways to reduce them
- Identify suspicious behaviors and describe how to report suspicious activity
- List precautions drivers should take to keep hazmat safe while en route to its destination
- Discuss the emergency response information requirements
- Describe the types of safety training your employer may provide to keep you safe while working around hazmat
Note: These prerequisites can be fulfilled by using J. J. Keller’s Hazmat: General Awareness Training, Hazmat: Safety Training, and Hazmat: Security Awareness Training courses.
- After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Explain what additional licensing and registration requirements are necessary before transporting hazmat
- Decide what hazmat documentation is needed and where to store it during transport
- Take precautions to keep your cargo safe and secure during transport
- Discuss what to do in the event of a hazmat incident or accident
- Intended Audience: Motor carrier drivers who work with or around shipments of hazardous materials
- Regs Covered: 49 CFR 172.700(c), 49 CFR 172.704, 49 CFR 177, and 49 CFR 397
- Language: Available in English or Spanish
- Length: 35 minutes
- Copyright Date: 2015 (Rev. 1/18)
Interested in a license to use J. J. Keller content on your LMS?
For a quote to use this training on your learning management system, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or
To ensure full course functionality, your computer will need to meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra) or higher
- Mobile App: Android v7 — Nougat (8/2016) and above, iOS v11 and above
- Persistent, high-speed internet connection with at least 1.5Mbps download speed
- Speakers or headphones
- Pop-up blockers must be disabled
- Cookies must be allowed
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
WEB BROWSERS THAT BEST SUPPORT HTML5
- Windows: Internet Explorer 11, Edge Chromium, Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
- Mac & Mobile App: Safari (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
J. J. Keller® Training
J. J. Keller's Interactive Online training programs are purchased using Points so you can get as much or as little as you need. The Points you purchase can be used for any course on J. J. Keller® Training.
All our Interactive Online courses feature:
- Easy purchasing and planning for the training you need
- 24/7 access to all our interactive online and streamlining video programs
- Hundreds of titles to choose from
- Free recordkeeping tool to track and report on all training activity
- One year window from date of purchase to use your Points
For information on unlimited purchasing options, please contact us 1-888-601-2018.
If you already have a J. J. Keller® Training account and wish to log in, click here.