The Hazmat Made Easier for All Employees handbook covers critical hazmat topics:
- The Hazmat Table (172.101) - symbols, hazmat descriptions and proper shipping names, hazard classes and divisions, ID numbers, packing groups, label codes, special provisions, packaging, and more. (Includes updated HM-215G samples and illustrations of the Hazmat Table).
- Documentation/Shipping Papers (Part 172, Subpart C) - Applicability, exceptions, the shipper's certification, shipping paper retention, the hazmat description, hazardous substances, marine pollutants, elevated-temperature materials, and more.
- Marking (Part 172, Subpart D) - Requirements for bulk and non-bulk packaging, prohibited markings, liquids in combination packaging, inhalation hazards, ORM-Ds, marine pollutants, elevated-temperature materials, and more.
- Labeling (Part 172, Subpart E) - Shipper and carrier responsibility, determining labels, exceptions, prohibited labeling, primary and subsidiary labels, label placement, label specifications, and more.
- Placarding (Part 172, Subpart F) - Placarding requirements, the placard tables, exceptions and placard substitutions, primary and subsidiary placards, placard placement, placard specifications, and more.
- Incident Reporting (171.15 & 171.16) and Emergency Response (172.602) - For Incident Reporting: carrier and operator responsibility, accidents versus incidents, incidents requiring telephone report, agency notification, written reports, and more. For Emergency Response: general requirements, location during transport, acceptable methods of providing emergency-response information, emergency-response telephone numbers, carrier emergency-information contact, enforcement, and more.
- Training & Security (Part 172, Subparts H & I) - Basic requirements and recommended practices, and overview of key security issues to assist in promoting general awareness, training required by the Hazardous Materials Regulations.
- Loading/Unloading (Part 177, Subpart B) - General requirements, class-specific requirements, shipping paper accessibility, driving and parking rules, carrier information contact, and more.
- Load Segregation (177.848) - Segregation requirements, use of the Segregation Table, the Compatibility Table for Class 1 (explosives), and more.
- Packaging (178, Subpart L) - Applicability, packaging responsibility, bulk and non-bulk packaging, packing groups and hazard zones, packaging codes, performance- oriented testing, manufacturer's markings, and more.
- Definitions (171.8) - An alphabetical listing of many of the terms commonly used in the hazmat transportation process.