Entry-Level Driver Training: Orientation - Online Course
Interactive Online Training courses are purchased using Training Points. This program is available for 25 points per seat (a seat is one person assigned to one course). Points are $1 each. See Overview for more information.
Add 25 Points To Cart
Product Code: 58547
Best Selling Online Courses
Module 1: Orientation Online Course, along with the other 34 entry-level driver training courses, was created to be used with the Entry-Level Driver Training: Obtaining A CDL manual for a comprehensive ELDT program.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has delayed compliance with the entry-level driver training (ELDT) rule. The new compliance date is February 7, 2022. As of that date, completion of ELDT will be required of drivers:
- Applying for their initial commercial driver’s license (CDL);
- Updating their current CDL; or
- Obtaining a passenger, school bus, or hazardous materials endorsement for the first time.
The rule requires successful completion of a prescribed program of theory and behind-the-wheel training before an entry-level driver takes the CDL skills test. This training must be provided by a school or other training entity listed on FMCSA's Training Provider Registry (TPR). To be listed on the TPR, schools and training entities must meet specific requirements addressing:
- Equipment, and
Though the rule has been delayed until February 7, 2022, schools and training entities should continue to prepare, as the requirements are complex. It will take a substantial amount of time to implement all the requirements.
For more information on the entry-level driver requirements, please visit this page.
This program is available for 25 points per seat. A seat is one person assigned to one course. Already have a J. J. Keller® Training account? Click here to log in. If you are a new customer, click here to learn more about Training Points.
This online course is designed to introduce learners to some of the basics when it comes to the trucking industry—how it is regulated, the qualifications they must meet, and some of the terms they need to understand.
- The eLearning course covers the following topics:
- Welcome to the Trucking Industry
- Interstate vs. Intrastate
- A Regulated Industry
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
- Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
- Other Regulations
- State & Local Laws & Regulations
- Getting Your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP)
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- CDL Classes
- Driver Qualifications
- Physical Qualification & Examination
- CDL/Med Card Merger
- Driver Qualification (DQ) File
- Driver Disqualification
- Major Offenses
- Serious Traffic Violations
- Out-of-Service Violations
- Railroad-Highway Grade Crossing Violations
- Alcohol & Drug Testing
- Alcohol Misuse & Drug Use
- The Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)
- Size & Weight Limitations
- Federal Size & Weight Limits
- The Bridge Formula
- Weigh Stations
- Height Limitations (Low Clearance)
- After completing this training course, learners will be able to:
- Identify the agencies responsible for regulating the trucking industry and explain the importance of complying with applicable laws and regulations
- Describe the procedure for obtaining a commercial driver’s license (CDL)
- Identify the required driver qualifications and what causes a disqualification
- Discuss alcohol and drug prohibitions and the types of testing drivers can expect under various circumstances
- Recognize the basic components of a combination vehicle and the size and weight limits established for traveling on the National Network
- Intended Audience: Drivers who are applying for an initial commercial driver’s license (CDL) or drivers upgrading their current CDL.
- Length: 40 minutes
- Language: Available in English
- Copyright Date: 2019
- Reg Covered: Unit A1.1.1 Orientation = This unit must introduce driver-trainees to the combination vehicle driver training curriculum and the components of a combination vehicle. The training providers must teach the safety fundamentals, essential regulatory requirements (e.g., overview of FMCSRs and Hazardous Materials Regulations), and driver-trainees’ responsibilities not directly related to CMV driving, such as proper cargo securement. This unit must also cover the ramifications, including driver disqualification provisions and fines, for non-compliance with parts 380, 382, 383, and 390 through 399 of the FMCSRs. This unit must also include an overview of the applicability of State and local laws relating to the safe operation of the CMV, stopping at weigh stations/scales, hazard awareness of vehicle size and weight limitations, low clearance areas (e.g., CMV height restrictions), and bridge formulas.
Interested in a license to use J. J. Keller content on your LMS?
For a quote to use this training on your learning management system, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or
To ensure full course functionality, your computer will need to meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra) or higher
- Mobile App: Android v7 — Nougat (8/2016) and above, iOS v11 and above
- Persistent, high-speed internet connection with at least 1.5Mbps download speed
- Speakers or headphones
- Pop-up blockers must be disabled
- Cookies must be allowed
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
WEB BROWSERS THAT BEST SUPPORT HTML5
- Windows: Internet Explorer 11, Edge Chromium, Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
- Mac & Mobile App: Safari (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
J. J. Keller® Training
J. J. Keller's Interactive Online training programs are purchased using Points so you can get as much or as little as you need. The Points you purchase can be used for any course on J. J. Keller® Training.
All our Interactive Online courses feature:
- Easy purchasing and planning for the training you need
- 24/7 access to all our interactive online and streamlining video programs
- Hundreds of titles to choose from
- Free recordkeeping tool to track and report on all training activity
- One year window from date of purchase to use your Points
For information on unlimited purchasing options, please contact us 1-888-601-2018.
If you already have a J. J. Keller® Training account and wish to log in, click here.