Entry-Level Driver Training: Hours of Service Requirements - Online Course
Interactive Online Training courses are purchased using Training Points. This program is available for 25 points per seat (a seat is one person assigned to one course). Points are $1 each. See Overview for more information.
Add 25 Points To Cart
Product Code: 58764
Best Selling Online Courses
Module 23: Hours of Service Requirements Online Course, along with the other 34 entry-level driver training courses, was created to be used with the Entry-Level Driver Training: Obtaining A CDL manual for a comprehensive ELDT program.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has delayed compliance with the entry-level driver training (ELDT) rule. The new compliance date is February 7, 2022. As of that date, completion of ELDT will be required of drivers:
- Applying for their initial commercial driver’s license (CDL);
- Updating their current CDL; or
- Obtaining a passenger, school bus, or hazardous materials endorsement for the first time.
The rule requires successful completion of a prescribed program of theory and behind-the-wheel training before an entry-level driver takes the CDL skills test. This training must be provided by a school or other training entity listed on FMCSA's Training Provider Registry (TPR). To be listed on the TPR, schools and training entities must meet specific requirements addressing:
- Equipment, and
Though the rule has been delayed until February 7, 2022, schools and training entities should continue to prepare, as the requirements are complex. It will take a substantial amount of time to implement all the requirements.
For more information on the entry-level driver requirements, please visit this page.
This program is available for 25 points per seat. A seat is one person assigned to one course. Already have a J. J. Keller® Training account? Click here to log in. If you are a new customer, click here to learn more about Training Points.
The hours-of-service regulations are contained in Part 395 of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs). They apply to commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) involved in interstate commerce and cover two areas:
- Hours of service — The number of hours which drivers are allowed to drive and/or work in a given period of time. These are hours drivers must account for.
- Driver’s record of duty status — What drivers use to keep track of their hours of service.
This online course is designed to cover the specific requirements for drivers of property-carrying CMVs.
- The eLearning course covers the following topics:
- Who is Regulated?
- On-Duty & Off-Duty Time
- The Limits
- 14-Hour (Duty) Limit
- 11-Hour (Driving) Limit
- 60-/70-Hour (On Duty) Limits
- 34-Hour Restart Provision
- Mandatory Break Provision
- Record of Duty Status
- Electronic Logging Device (ELD)
- Paper Logs
- Mandatory Break Provision Exceptions
- 100 Air-Mile Radius (Short-Haul)
- 150 Air-Mile Radius (Non-CDL Short-Haul)
- 16-Hour Short Haul (“Big Day” Exception)
- Sleeper Berth
- Adverse & Emergency Driving Conditions
- Hi-Rail Vehicles
- Other Exceptions
- Consequences for Non-Compliance
- Impact on CSA BASIC Scores
- Out-of-Service Criteria
- Travel Time
- After completing this training course, learners will be able to:
- Recognize the purpose of the hours of service regulations and their impact on drivers
- Explain how to apply hours of service regulations, including on-duty and driving limits and the 34-hour restart provision
- Describe how to keep track of their hours of service using an electronic logging device or paper logs
- Identify which, if any, exceptions to hours of service apply to themselves
- Intended Audience: Drivers who are applying for an initial commercial driver’s license (CDL) or drivers upgrading their current CDL.
- Length: 45 minutes
- Language: Available in English
- Copyright Date: 2019
- Reg Covered: Unit A1.5.3 Hours of Service Requirements = This unit must teach driver-trainees to understand that there are different hours-of-service (HOS) requirements applicable to different industries. The training providers must teach driver-trainees all applicable HOS regulatory requirements. The training providers must teach driver-trainees to complete a Driver’s Daily Log (electronic and paper), timesheet, and logbook recap, as appropriate. The training providers must teach driver-trainees the consequences (safety, legal, and personal) of violating the HOS regulations, including the fines and penalties imposed for these types of violations.
Interested in a license to use J. J. Keller content on your LMS?
For a quote to use this training on your learning management system, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or
To ensure full course functionality, your computer will need to meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra) or higher
- Mobile App: Android v7 — Nougat (8/2016) and above, iOS v11 and above
- Persistent, high-speed internet connection with at least 1.5Mbps download speed
- Speakers or headphones
- Pop-up blockers must be disabled
- Cookies must be allowed
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
WEB BROWSERS THAT BEST SUPPORT HTML5
- Windows: Internet Explorer 11, Edge Chromium, Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
- Mac & Mobile App: Safari (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
J. J. Keller® Training
J. J. Keller's Interactive Online training programs are purchased using Points so you can get as much or as little as you need. The Points you purchase can be used for any course on J. J. Keller® Training.
All our Interactive Online courses feature:
- Easy purchasing and planning for the training you need
- 24/7 access to all our interactive online and streamlining video programs
- Hundreds of titles to choose from
- Free recordkeeping tool to track and report on all training activity
- One year window from date of purchase to use your Points
For information on unlimited purchasing options, please contact us 1-888-601-2018.
If you already have a J. J. Keller® Training account and wish to log in, click here.