Properly secured flatbed cargo prevents items from shifting, spilling, blowing or falling from the vehicle. And that's critical. Proper cargo securement in dry vans is also a necessity to avoid lost dollars in damaged goods.
Recent changes to the CSA Safety Measurement System (SMS) Methodology have made cargo securement more important than ever before. Learn more about the CSA changes here.
J. J. Keller offers a large line of cargo securement products and services – from supplies and training programs to handbooks and consulting – designed specifically to help you ensure your dry van and flatbed cargo is secured and your drivers know how to secure it.
See below for more cargo securement information and essential solutions to help you maintain compliance and keep your cargo safe.
Commodity-Specific Cargo Securement Rules
The following commodities are subject to specific rules for cargo securement, as found in U.S. regulations 49 CFR Part 393 and Canadian Nation Safety Code Standard 10. The commodity-specific requirements are in addition to the general securement standards that apply to all commodities.
|Dressed lumber or similar building products||§393.118|
|Automobiles, light trucks, and vans||§393.128|
|Heavy vehicles, equipment, and machinery||§393.130|
|Flattened or crushed vehicles||§393.132|
|Roll-on/roll-off or hook lift containers||§393.134|
Top 10 Cargo Securement Violations – 2011
|Regulation||Violation Description||# of Violations||# of OOS Violations||OOS Percent|
|393.100(a)||Failure To Prevent Cargo Shifting||16,491||13,465||81.65%|
|392.9(a)(2)||Failing To Secure Vehicle Equipment||14,961||12,152||81.22%|
|393.104(b)||Damaged Securement System/Tiedowns||14,084||6,119||43.45%|
|392.9(a)||Failing To Secure Load||10,317||8,096||78.47%|
|393.110(b)||Insufficient Tiedowns; Without Headerboard/ Blocking||9,558||8,882||92.93%|
|393.130||No/Improper Heavy Vehicle/Machine Securement||6,541||6,057||92.60%|
|392.9||Failing To Secure Load||5,786||4,393||75.92%|
|392.9(a)(1)||Failing To Secure Cargo/§§393.100-393.136||4,411||3,626||82.20%|
Cargo Securement Essential Solutions
- Dry Van Cargo Securement, Second Edition DVD Training Program Make sure your enclosed van and trailer drivers comply with cargo securement regulations
- Van Supplies Get your dry van securement supplies - cargo bars, straps, jack bars and more.
More Cargo Securement Solutions
- Cargo Securement Handbook for Drivers Help drivers stay safe and in compliance with federal and Canadian requirements
- CSA Management Suite™ Improve your safety performance with this suite of online tools dedicated to CSA.
- Fleetmentor The online toolbox and advisor that will help you cover all areas of the CSA BASICs
- J. J. Keller's Encompass™ A proven system to reduce risk, improve DOT compliance, and protect your company